NOTE: Going forward, we do not recommend using this and related tutorials (CoreVR asset pack) for VR functionality. Please see use the new VR Asset Pack for adding VR to your scene.
This tutorial shows how to add virtual reality (VR) grabbing capabilities to a scene in Amazon Sumerian by using the controllers of Oculus Go.
Before you begin, you should have completed the following tasks and tutorials:
- Sign in to Amazon Sumerian with your AWS account
- All Amazon Sumerian Getting Started tutorials
- Getting Started in VR tutorial
- Publishing a Scene tutorial
Step 1: Open a VR-Enabled Scene
From the Dashboard, load a scene that you created by following the steps in the Getting Started in VR tutorial.
Step 2: Add Grabbing Capability for Oculus Go
- In the Entities panel, expand the VRCameraRig entity.
- Choose the child controller_OG entity.
Filter the Assets panel by Scripts, and then drag the 3DOFGrab script onto the Script component’s drop script box.
Filter the Assets panel by Entities, and then drag the 3DOF Grab Target entity onto the Grab Target box of the controller’s 3DOFGrab script.
Similarly, drag the 3DOF Grab Line entity onto the Grab Line box of the controller’s 3DOFGrab script.
- In the Grab Button list, add the grabbing capability to either the thumbpad or indexTrigger button.
Step 3: Test Your Scene
In this last step, you test the grabbing capability with a primitive Box entity.
Choose Create Entity above the canvas, and then add a Box entity.
- In the Entities panel, choose the Box entity.
In the Inspector panel, choose Add Component.
Choose the Collider component.
Publish your scene.
Navigate to the link to your published scene from your HMD, and then click the Enter VR button.
- Press the assigned grab button and aim your controller somewhere in the scene. You’ll see a grab line (white line fading out to distance). If grabbing is successful, you’ll see the grab target (white ping animation with a white flare in the middle) on the cube.
Now publish and share your scene!
Related Tasks and Tutorials
Now that you understand more about grabbing objects in Oculus Go you should try the following tutorials:
- Teleporting in VR with Oculus Go
- Adding VR Grab Capabilities with Oculus Rift and HTC Vive
- Teleporting in VR with Oculus Rift and HTC Vive
- Augmented Reality Using Sumerian ARKit